A Ring and a Hot Pink Umbrella: My Engagement Pictures

October 15th, 2009:  It was an INCREDIBLY cold, rainy, windy night – like I mentioned in my first engagement post, I did NOT feel like going out in the city on that Thursday night.  The weather was terrible, the traffic was even worse because of the horrible weather, and I had about 739 things on my to-do list (which seems to never go down – anyone else feel that way?).  Good thing it was Jay’s birthday, because that was really the only reason I decided to still go out with “him and his work friends”.  Even though I didn’t feel like driving into the city, I fought the traffic and battled my way in, picked up Jay, and parked near Rittenhouse Square.

We get out of the car, and I grab my hot pink umbrella.  Jay says, “why don’t we use this big (nicer) black umbrella I have?”  So I reply, “Why?  There is nothing wrong with my hot-pink umbrella, I like it.”  And I march out into the rain:)  I figured he was just making fun of my umbrella, but once I realize what is going down as we’re walking through Rittenhouse Square and Jay gets down on one knee, I realized he was just trying to get me to have a nice umbrella for our proposal pictures:)  Sorry Jay!

Anyway, here are my favorites from our mini photo-shoot around the city.  These were all taken by the fabulous Kathleen of Firefly Photography.  I loooooove that he hired a photographer to document the entire thing….I can’t stop looking at the pictures!  I think it is so fun that we’ll have these to show our kids and grand-kids one day.  Here is the proposal in action.  Accompanied by my hot pink umbrella:)

Philadelphia Proposal

Shocked, no idea what he said to me:)

091015-proposal-002

Philadelphia Proposal

And do you like Jay’s messenger bag featured in every picture?  I laughed so hard when I first saw the pictures and noticed his bag is in every single one, because this is his standard look.  I feel like that bag is with him at all times, and any time we go out in the city he always comes straight from work, toting the messenger bag.  So of course we always make fun of him for carrying his laptop around from bar to bar:)

Philadelphia Proposal

This is my favorite #1 – I think I’m going to get a big print made of this one:)

(Notice we switched out umbrellas:) )

091015-proposal-005

Hanging out on Broad Street:

Philadelphia Proposal

Favorite #2: I absolutely love the motion in this shot!  Every time I look at it I feel like I can see the cars moving:)

Philadelphia Proposal

Next stop was Logan Square.  You have to excuse my hair, I’m starting to look like a hot mess at this point.  It was the wind and rain I tell you!

091015-proposal-008

091015-proposal-009

Last stop was Boat House row:

091015-proposal-010

My ring!  I love everything about it.  I was so sad that I recently had to give it up to get it re-sized, and the jeweler told me it will be a minimum of two months.  TWO MONTHS??  That is SO long, and I was not pleased because that means I won’t have it over the holidays to show the fam.  At least they gave me a loaner to wear in the mean time.

Philadelphia Proposal

Again, excuse the hair.  Someone should have told me to grab a brush and do something about myself:)

091015-proposal-012

Philadelphia Proposal

Again, Jay, thank you.  Thank you for giving me a perfect proposal, one that I absolutely LOVED, and was so “us”.  I can’t even explain the feelings I felt that night – it went from utter excitement once I realized what was happening, to just a calm feeling of happiness.  In my mind I looked ahead to the next 50+ years of our lives, knowing wherever our lives take us, we will be happy.  You make me more happy that you could ever imagine – you make me more happy that I could have ever imagined I would be in a relationship.  You’re an amazing man, and I know you are going to be a phenomenal husband, and one day father.  I feel INCREDIBLY lucky and blessed to have found you.  Just ask all of my best friends – I’ve never been more “me”, than over the past 3 years I’ve been with you.  I love you more than you could know, and I can’t wait for the day that I can call you my husband – love you Jay!

1. Sarah

November 7th, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Well thanks for almost making me cry… but I LOVE all of the pictures! You both look SO happy and there isn’t a thing wrong with you in any of them! Congrats for the millionth time. So exciting! 🙂

2. Sarah

November 7th, 2009 at 6:44 pm

I mean you ARE so happy, you don’t just look it. You are an amazing couple! So happy you found each other…

3. Jaime

November 7th, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Dang it Tina, agreed with Sarah – thanks for making me cry! I love them!!! Jay did such a good job 🙂

4. Gail

November 7th, 2009 at 11:49 pm

These are so, so SO sweet Tina!!!! So happy for you and Jay and all that is to come! My faves are your faves!!! 🙂

5. Joan

November 8th, 2009 at 1:00 pm

I know you showed me these pictures already but I loved looking at them again and reading your commentary! I’m SO happy for you and Jay, and thrilled about the engagement! I’m very happy you found him too! They don’t get better than Jay! (except for Mike, of course!)

6. Jess

November 8th, 2009 at 5:40 pm

I LOVE them!! And I totally agree with Sarah that you look so beautiful and so happy in all of them!! Gotta love Jay!

7. Mary

November 9th, 2009 at 10:32 am

Well, as Lee is sitting here in my lap, I am praying that he can be that romantic one day! Jeremy is one of the most thoughtful men I know and you are a lucky gal…this is the happiest post ever! Love you both!

8. Michelle Olivieri

November 9th, 2009 at 11:37 am

OMG Tina and Jay i’m so happy for you!! Tina those picutres are amazing, that one you want to blow up is incredible, it made me cry. I too had a loner for two months but it goes fast.
    Much Happinness!

9. Roanna

November 9th, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I LOVE everything about this post! I especially love the broad street pictures, especially since it’s at night w/ all the lights! the pink umbrella is cute — funny how you think back to everything leading up until the proposal and it all makes sense! the ring is beautiful too, i’m glad they at least gave you a loaner!!! CONGRATS AGAIN 🙂

10. Maria

November 9th, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Hi Tina! Congrats to you and Jay, the pics are beautiful and the ring is AMAZING! Wish you and Jay the best!!

11. Kylene

November 9th, 2009 at 9:26 pm

love, love, love them!! what a great way to remember such a special day! congratulations again to you both, thanks for sharing these 🙂

12. Katie

November 10th, 2009 at 12:32 pm

I should have read the below comments before reading this Post at work. Had to explain the teary eyes to everyone at my table! I am so excited for you Tina!

13. Sarah Lockard

November 14th, 2009 at 5:23 pm

this is amazing, congrats. you did an awesome job telling this romantic story!!! :)Sarah

14. Nancy

November 16th, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Congrats, and best of luck to you both! I can’t express how happy I am for you guys 🙂

15. Sam

November 17th, 2009 at 9:18 am

Cannot wait for your wedding!!! Your pictures are amazing, and like I said on the phone, the pink umbrella totally made the pics! Well, that and J’s excellent choice of bling:)

16. Ashley

November 23rd, 2009 at 11:39 am

Love these photos! Jay, I totally give you points for hiring a photographer for capturing the whole thing! Can’t wait to see you guys in NYC! CONGRATS!

17. Hello 2010! | Tina Jay Photography | Philadelphia Wedding Photographer

January 1st, 2010 at 5:11 pm

[…] Jay and I bought our first house, I did a LOT with my photography business, and most importantly, Jay and I got engaged   2009 was such a whirlwind that I can’t wait to see what 2010 has in store.  One thing […]

18. A Garden Party | Top of the Tower, Philadelphia Wedding Florist: Tina & Jeremy

March 15th, 2012 at 2:52 pm

[…] touches.  This is a couple that LOVES Philadelphia, Jeremy even popped the big question right in Rittenhouse Square, so it was no surprise when Tina picked Top of the Tower for their wedding to take place.  We used […]